Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Spirit of Dance

The Indian Culture Society of New Jersey held a series of Navaratri Garba dances at the Dunn Sports Center, Elizabeth High School. Rediff.com pictures of the event are here.
My few pictures are here.

I felt disoriented when I entered the indoor stadium turned dance room:

garba_1

It is not just the women that were dressed in vibrant colors. While many guys had come in jeans and tee-shirt, some of them did not disappoint. Little children shared in the fun.

garba_2

garba_6

garba_4

garba_3

garba_9

The spirit of dance:

garba_5

garba_8

garba_7

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! You could never have gotten such quality with a point & shoot. I see that you used the 24-105mm f/4. The 70-200mm f/2.8 will be an interesting option in this situation provided you have enough distance to work with. But it is heavy, hard to navigate with in a crowd, and it draws attention.

Anonymous said...

loving the one with just the bottom of the lehngaa skirt and the feet :)

It's amazing how many proper shots of dressed up guyz you were able to get (makes you realize they weren't dancing :-p hehehe jk).

~N

Arun said...

Glad you like them!

I started off with the 70-200mm, but it drew too much attention and was too unwieldy in the crowd. Perhaps if I was more elbowy and ruthless...

Actually #7 (the pic of the girl just under the text "The spirit of dance:" was likely taken by my niece N. The dancers were visibly reacting to the camera pointed in their direction, and my niece took the camera saying that they would notice her less than me. This is just on the edge of that series. Which reminds me, I should post one definitely taken by N.