Saturday, June 11, 2005

An Ethical Dilemma-I

For various reasons, including discussions on TheHeathenAndHisBlindness egroup, I find the episode of Gandhiji and the calf that he had put down by lethal injection, and the resulting furore to be of interest. So, I'm posting relevant excerpts from the Complete Works of Gandhi here to do with the episode (these are from Volumes 42 and 43).

Here is the start of the episode. I think the fact of Gandhiji's notes indicates that he did spend some thought on his course of action.

LETTER TO AMBALAL SARABHAI

August 21, 1928

DEAR BROTHER,

I have a calf here that is suffering terrible pain. It has broken a leg. Now it has developed sores all over the body. The veterinary surgeon has given up all hope. I have therefore decided to have it shot. Please send one of your guards with a gun if possible. We have people in the Ashram who can use a gun but we have not kept a gun here.

Vandemataram form
MOHANDAS

----

Later that day,

LETTER TO AMBALAL SARABHAI

August 21, 1928

DEAR BROTHER,

Your letter is beautiful. Your sentiments are even more beautiful. I had been waiting for the doctor and the injections having abandoned the idea of using a gun. Your letter has made me check myself. I will not now make use of your gun. I do not share your fear. The question is deeper than the one you have raised. I shall not discuss it here beyond saying that it is not merely one of relieving pain. What is our duty towards animals and other living creatures that are disabled and suffering pain? Where does compassion which underlies Hinduism take us? But to me that is not a matter for discussion. It concerns my deepest feelings. I shall take no step without proper thought. The act of killing has to be postponed at least for today.

Vandemataram form
MOHANDAS

Almost immediately, Gandhiji had to defend his decision.

LETTER TO JETHALAL JOSHI
Second Shravan Sud 11 [August 26, 1928]

BHAISHRI JETHALAL,

I got your letter.
What you say about children is true.
Your suggestion regarding malaria is worth considering.

Concerning the calf, the issue was not only about non-violence. According to my definition of non-violence, there was certainly no violence in killing it. The question was whether or not it was a duty to kill it. I felt that it was.

You can get slivers for a few days, but you should learn quickly [to make them yourselves].

Blessings from
MOHANDAS